Monday, May 16, 2011

A Phone, A Desk, and A Computer: Everything an Intern Needs

Today marks the start of my summer placement in the Village of Forestburg!


My desk, chair, phone, and computer.
I arrived at the office and was warmly greeted by everyone.  I was shown my office which is probably the biggest office any intern will have during their summer placement.  Not only do I have a desk, a phone, and a computer, I also have access to a very large conference table, 10 rolling office chairs that are made of leather and have high backs like the executives in television shows, a dozen green chairs, an almost unlimited amount of office supplies, a kitchen located on the other side of my office and a bathroom.  I hope the amount of furniture in my office has lead you to picture how big my office is.  My office is located in the Council Chambers, which is nice and quiet and allows me to research and update my blog in a very quiet environment, except for the ringing of my telephone every once in a while. I think that is enough discussion about my office, but I will add pictures to show you the sheer size.
This is my office.  This is the view I have from my desk.

Some of the many chairs that I can sit on if I so choose.
I was really excited to arrive at work this morning.  I was interested to see what I would be doing this summer, who I would be working with, and what my experience will lead to. The plan for my summer placement is to have me contact the local volunteer organizations and determine if they need help writing reports, applying for grants, updating their books, or planning and hosting events.  The Village of Forestburg recognizes the importance of its volunteers and wants to help them in any way possible because the volunteers have given so much support to this village that the village wants to ensure the volunteers have the support they need.


I am still really excited to be working with the Village of Forestburg through the internship provided by the Alberta Centre for Sustainable Rural Communities (ACSRC) through the University of Alberta, the Augustana Campus, and the Learning and Beyond Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment