Friday, August 26, 2011

It's been a blast!


Wow, it’s hard to believe that 16 weeks have flown by. It seemed as though I had a lot of time to get things done throughout the summer, but now that it is all said and done I am starting to realize that 16 weeks is not enough time for the internship.  I feel like I just started yesterday and am a little sad to be leaving Forestburg.  My experience in this community has been great, from all the people at the village office I have seen on a regular basis to the people who lead the volunteer organizations.  All of these people have shown me what it means to work hard, to have pride in your community, and they have shown me how great living in a rural area/village can be.

While I am excited to leave rural Alberta to attend school in a large urban centre in Saskatchewan, I know I will miss the people I have worked with this summer and I will miss living rurally. I will trade in the quiet sounds of nature for the sounds of vehicles traveling on the highway outside of my city apartment, I will miss the friendly faces that know who you are (or that you are Paul’s girlfriend), and I will miss the relaxing lifestyle.  This internship has allowed me to grow personally and professionally and has taught me a lot about some of the challenges faced by rural municipalities and the organizations that work within them.

I would like to thank Forestburg for having me this summer, for the ACSRC and LaB Office both working through the U of A, and the other interns for the support and information they provided throughout this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment