Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bigger isn't always better


A canola field just north of Forestburg.
Lately I have been contemplating what I have been doing.  I haven’t been reworking policies, I haven’t made any major changes to the village, and I haven’t been a superhero saving the village of Forestburg.  I have, however, been interacting with people in the village, searching and applying for grants, and helping with whatever needs to be done.  This internship is not about the big changes, it’s about the small things that go on. I have noticed that sometimes things in a rural area move at a slower pace than in a larger urban centre and it’s this slower pace that has shown me that the small things matter. Whether it’s a friendly hello, an update on a sick neighbour or friend, or even a wave while you’re driving, I find that the small things that happen make living and working in a rural area so enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment