Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another Week Done


This is me officially graduated.
Wow, another week has literally flown by in my summer internship in Forestburg.  This week was exhausting, not because of work, but because of the convocation celebrations throughout the weekend for the Augustana Grad Class of 2011.  It was an exciting weekend and it’s official that I am Kendra Kerrigan, B.A.. So that was exciting!

This week was great with myself contacting a few more local organizations and setting up meeting times with them to determine where they could use my services.  I have enjoyed hearing what people in this community want, and other than specific organization wants like a treasurer or other executive members, a major “want” is a summer event.  It seems as though the village almost shuts down for the summer.  Businesses still run, everyone still works, some organizations still have meetings, but as of right now Big Knife Villa (the seniors lodge) is the only organization with something going on (monthly lunches open to the community for a small fee).  The next major events aren’t until the summer is almost over in August or September.  I asked about a Canada Day BBQ or some event and everyone keeps telling me that they have to go somewhere else for Canada Day celebrations.  Luckily there are numerous communities in the area that have some sort of parade or celebration during the summer, but Forestburg does not.

I am still meeting with organizations to determine what they want or need, but right now I am thinking that a community BBQ to bring the community together with booths for organizations to recruit volunteers and make themselves visible could be in the works for the summer (pending approval and the overall cost). Talking with the organizations so far I have realized that there is no volunteer recruitment strategy.  They wait until someone comes to them looking to volunteer rather than actively seeking out community members.  I know recruitment takes time and effort, of which most people’s time and effort are directed towards the organization they are involved in because their resources are really stretched.
This week has been full of learning opportunities and meeting great people and I am really excited to actually start working with the various organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment