Friday, June 3, 2011

Purpose

 
This week has been a success, not that any of the past weeks haven’t been successful, but this week has been what I would consider my most productive week, making it successful . I feel like I am finally finding my purpose.  Here is a song about someone else finding their purpose. 

* Sorry for any words that may be offensive to some in this song, it was used for entertainment value and its purpose is not to offend people.

Initially I struggled with being an intern, not really knowing what I was doing, who I would be dealing with, or what was expected of me.   There are a few things that I feel helped me to find my purpose.
  1. Getting to know people
Having the opportunity to find out what goes on in the village, what has went on, and what has impacted the people here, has really helped me gain a deeper understanding of Forestburg.  Most of the people working in the office have only been working here for a few months although some have lived in the village for a few years, but the information they have about the village has helped me find where I will fit in.
  1. Having a job description
I was confused as to what I would be doing, but I have created a job description for myself which has helped me to know what I am expecting of myself. I feel that the job description will help me to be able to recognize my own boundaries and limitations while still helping others.
  1. Getting out into the community
This was what inspired me to write this blog.  I was out and about and was approached by a member of the community who is involved with many community groups. We had a lovely chat on main street and she was really excited to meet me and for me to help her groups.  Knowing that this is something that people want, even if it is only one person, showed that it is a possible position that could grow and be useful in the community.
 
While these have helped me find my purpose, maybe they will help you, and if not, I am sure you will be able to find your purpose through some other means. While having freedom to create my own job title and the ability to do what I want, rather than having a set list of things on how to complete a task, has been a struggle, but I feel that with this sense of purpose I will be able to complete everything that has been set in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment