Friday, July 29, 2011

It finally clicks!

Okay, so now I understand what is going on.  I have always had the belief that volunteers are important, and in rural areas that is no different. But after my latest project I have realized just how valuable volunteer run groups are.  I have been researching sports field policies and procedures to determine what Forestburg can do, and during this research is when everything clicked!
Larger centres have a full time employee dedicated to field bookings/scheduling, being a go-to person for the sports organizations in the town or city. Forestburg had an organization that did that task. So the job was always done, but by volunteers, not a full time paid employee. How is it that a group of people who donate their time can complete the job that a full time employee does elsewhere? This is why volunteer organizations are so valuable in a place like Forestburg.

In other news I found it funny on Monday as I was watching the morning news and there was a discussion of all of the construciton projects occurring in Edmonton.  For a moment I thought I was immune to construction season until I arrived at work and found this...


There was construction right outside of my office, but by Tuesday afternoon the road was almost back to normal, just waiting to pave it again. I found it interesting how long it takes for something to happen in Edmonton, yet here within two days the road was functioning again.

No comments:

Post a Comment